Pages

Monday, January 27, 2020

Meet My 2 Fancy New Journals

Once I started eating and living more responsibly, for a healthier life, I learned how journaling can be a powerful tool in staying successful in your journey.  I believe that this is a journey that never really ends, you just make a lot of stops along the way and ... how you live determines how much fun those experiences can be.  I've always thought that journaling should be an important part of your life, but I cannot tell you how many times I've cleaned out drawers, bookcases and shelves only to find many, many journals that I started ... and ... that was it ... only a start.
A good friend suggested that I combine my love of art into my journals.  Wow!  What a fabulous idea.  Now, I've started and actually filled up many, many journals.  Journaling has become an important part of my life ... and I need a great journal to do it.  Here are the last 2 journals I recently finished.  I love them!

This first journal cover is one that I made up as I went along.  I couldn't tell you how to do it, even if my life depended on it.  It involves a bit of Pearl X Powders and a lot of gold embossing powder, with a bit of stamping at the end of the process.  As I heated the embossing powder, I kept adding more powder, a pinch at a time.  It was an incredibly messy and wonderfully fun project.
The inside pages are edged with paints and/or watercolors, with random stamping throughout the journal pages.  By the way, I ordered my journals from Amazon.  They are called Dylusions Creative Journals.  These are a 5 X 8" size.  I've tried several sizes and like this size the best.
The pages in the journals are made from sturdy papers specifically designed for mixed media projects, so they are perfect for watercoloring and/or stamping.  You do not need to Gesso the pages before using them.
I added just a snippet of ribbon to the elastic closure on each of my journals.  I love how they turned out!
I loved the first one so much that I started out trying to recreate it for my second journal.  However, this time, the more embossing powder I added, the smoother it got.  (The first one is wonderfully bumpity.)
I soon came to my senses and realized that I couldn't recreate the first journal ... and ... why would I want two the same anyway?  So ... off to a new design plan.  Remember, these are 'make it up as you go along' journal covers.
After I'd finished all the embossing, I decided to use 2 of my favorite butterfly dies.  One die is designed to fit over the top of another.  It wasn't quite long enough, so I added 2 more to the lower part of the journal cover.  The larger die cut piece fit perfectly around the elastic closure.  I cut them from watercolor papers, to give more depth and texture.
TIP:
To adhere pieces like this, I make a puddle of glue on my craft mat and use a piece of sponge to dab the glue onto the die cut piece.
Once the glue was dry, I spritzed them with water and sprinkled on some Brusho.  I hadn't gotten my hands all colorful with Brusho for a while.  It was great!  I love and will always love Brusho.
After the Brusho dried, I embossed with clear embossing powder, to make sure the butterflies were secure, adding in a few pinches of gold embossing powder here and there.  I absolutely love the end result.  It will be hard to top this one, once it's full.  This was a messy, time-consuming project and well worth the effort.  I can enjoy this one for months to come!
It's amazing that you can start out in a similar way and end up with two completely different projects.
In the past, I created journals for several of my favorite journaling projects ... art, quotes, scriptures, funny sayings, inspirational ideas, daily tracking of eating and exercising ...  Now, I combine them all into one great journal.  This is a better system.  I mean, after all, how many journals can you juggle at one time?  I'll probably eventually convert the other partially started journals that have separate topics and areas of focus, all into one - like these.
Have you tried creating a journal, using art as a part of it ... or even a journal that is all art?  Give it a try.  I think you'll be glad you did.
UPCOMING CLASSES / EVENTS …

SALE-A-BRATION (SAB) PREMIER EVENT / 2:00-5:00 / $18.00
February 2 / Pay to register by January 26.
It’s a party.  It’s a class.
REGISTRATION CLOSED.  My class table is full.
I have a few kits available, while supplies last.

SCRAPS AND PRAYERS / 5:30-7:30 / $18.00
February 10 / Pay to register by February 3.
We’ll be making some fun cards at this class.

PAPER PUMPKIN CLUB / FREE FOR MY LOCAL PP SUBSCRIBERS
February 18 / 1:00-3:00 / BRING YOUR KIT.

SCRAPS AND PRAYERS / 5:30-7:30 / $18.00
March 9 / Pay to register by March 2.
Project TBA.

PAPER PUMPKIN CLUB / FREE FOR MY LOCAL PP SUBSCRIBERS
March 17 / 1:00-3:00 / BRING YOUR KIT.


MORE CLASSES AND EVENTS - - - TBA
That's it for now.  
Thanks for stopping by my blog neighborhood.   
Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...