Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Button, button, who's got the button?

It's no secret if you know me at all.  I LOVE buttons!  I confess that I have jars and jars of them in and around my studio.  It all started when I was a child and my mother let me play with her button box while she was sewing.  She had all kinds of mismatched and wonderful buttons in there and I loved them all!  I inherited them from her and have been collecting more ever since.
I thought I was in heaven when they came out with the wonderful buttons in last year's holiday mini, but I was wrong.  Heaven is the new buttons in THIS year's mini that coordinate with the Spice Cake suite.  How wonderful it is to have fabric, CS, DSP, stamps AND buttons that all coordinate!!!  I am trying to make myself use them more, rather than hoarding them, but it is a difficult task for me!

Today's projects include a coordinating card and little treat container.  How fun it is to give coordinated items to a friend or loved one!

The card features a strip of torn fabric, pinched in the middle and tied with hemp.  Leave longer ends of hemp, so you can tie on a button and a tag.  I used the scalloped oval and the large oval punches for the tag.


Fall cards, to me, need lots of layers and texture so I added an embossed layer of more mustard over the more mustard card base using the square lattice embossing folder.  In this close-up, you can see that I lightly stamped a more mustard and a pear pizzazz leaf over the stamped tag.  Stamp off to achieve a very light color to your stamp. 

I call this little twisty treat container a sour cream container because it mimics just that.  I embossed a 4 1/4 X 5 1/4" piece of CS with the square lattice embossing folder.  Roll it over the edge of a table to break down the fibers a little and it will be easier to shape it into a tube.  Roll it so that your tube is 4 1/4" long.  Attach the ends with sticky strip.  Glue 1 end shut (Liquid Tombow) and let it dry a bit.  Crimp the end for a fun look and to help hold it firmly shut.  Drop in a few treats (I used 3 kisses.) and close the opposite end the same way, but turned differently -- to give it that sour cream container look.  I then tied a torn strip of fabric around it, added a button and a tag with hemp, attached the cute little punched shape I shared with you in my previous post (over a curly label punched shape) and added a cut out leaf.  Now that's a fun treat!

Here's a close-up of the tags and leaf.

Tips:
Place your sticky strip where you see my scribbled ink line.
To get a good, rounded shape easily, bend your CS around a Stampin' Mist bottle and hold it there while you attach the sides with the tape.  It really helps make the job a LOT easier.  After you've attached the sticky strip, remove the cylinder from the Stampin' Mist bottle and use your bone folder to go inside the cylinder and smooth it down tightly.

Here are some other views of the container so you can see the crimped ends a little better.


Here's a tip on tearing fabric:
Open your fabric piece all the way, cut a tiny notch at the position you want to start tearing.  Now, gently tear it all the way down to the opposite end.  (You are tearing it length-wise.)  It tears easily and gives a wonderful, frayed look that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...