Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Color Inspiration, Part 4... the Final Part AND a Little Tutorial

Today's post is the final part of my little series on using color inspiration to guide your artistic creations.  In my 3 previous posts, I've shared color inspiration from children playing in various settings.  Today's colors are all about nature.

Using colors in nature is always a guaranteed way to have a color story that works well every time.  Mother Nature knows how to do it!  I loved my container garden this year and the colors were a wonderful inspiration to me each time I saw them.

As an artist, I love playing with color.  My eye is always drawn to color.  As a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, I often look at objects, especially in nature, and think of which Stampin' Up! colors I could use to create a project using those colors or shades of those colors.

Here's today's card project.


My color story:
Elegant Eggplant
Wisteria Wonder
Daffodil Delight
Wild Wasabi

Here are a couple of the photos that inspired my color story for this card project:


... and back to the card ... and how I did it ...

This card is made with our Thinlits Circle Card die.  This particular card has an extra piece or flap on it that folds in from the right side.

Here's a little mini tutorial to share with you how to make this kind of card using the die.  The photos show it with the Thinlits Label Card die, but it's the same exact technique.  Try it with both dies and see which one you like the best.
  • Cut your CS to 5 1/2 X 8 1/4" --- so you can get 2 cards from 1 sheet of CS.
  • Trim off a teeny, tiny sliver from the long side if it will not slip under the die as shown in the photo below.  (It becomes a sliver under 5 1/2")
  • Insert the CS into the die as shown, with the right hand end sitting on TOP of the die.
  • Roll all the way through the Big Shot, creating a little crease line where you roll over the last part of the die.
  • Lay your cut card onto your Scoring Plate and go over the crease to create a crisp score line.  (The score line will be at 5 7/8" on your Scoring Plate.)  
  • Go over it with your Bone Folder and fold up to create the flap.
  • Decorate 1 or both sides of the flap with 2 1/4 X 5 1/4" CS or DSP in coordinating colors.
  • Finish decorating and embellishing your beautiful card.  It's that simple!
See the extra flap.  By laying it over the die on the right hand edge and rolling over it, you create a little crease.  This becomes your scoring line and just naturally creates the extra flap.  Easy!!!
Here's another look at a previous card that was made with the Thinlits Label Card die and cut in the same way.
You can decorate the flap, inside and out, with card stock or DSP.  You can add stamped images and/or write a message.  You are limited only by your imagination.  Have fun with it!
Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you'll try making this new kind of card.  If you do not yet have these fabulous Thinlits, scroll down on the left side of my blog and click on the image to get all the details.  Have a great day!

- Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. 
- Click on the tab at the top of the page to see my class schedules and registration policies or click on the left for sneak peeks. 
- Come back soon and come back often for more creative inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...