Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

How to go About Dyeing!

Today, as I did in my workshop last Saturday, I'll teach you how to go about dyeing -- with reinkers and roses, that is:)  I tried to do this in the easiest way possible and with the least mess.  I think this works great.

How to go About Dyeing:
  • Lay out several layers of paper towels.
  • Cut a strip of our Flower Trim the length you'd like to dye.  (p.5, Spring Catalog)
  • Take a Stampin' Spritzer and fill it 2/3's full of water.  (p. 179, large catalog)
  • Add 3-6 drops of the reinker color of your choice.  (The more reinker, the deeper the color.)
  • Add a little more water, if needed, leaving room to replace your top.
  • Shake, to mix the color into the water.
  • Gently spritz the Flower Trim, as desired.  The more you spritz, the greater the saturation.
  • Let dry.
  • Add the Flower Trim to your project by attaching with Liquid Tombow.  

Optional:
  • Add a spritzing of alcohol / shimmer paint, if desired, for a little sparkle.
  • You can add a little more depth of color by highlighting the top edges of each flower with a marker.  (Mine shown do NOT have this detail.  I'm just highlighting examples of several color choices.)
  • You can also use sponge daubers to add color to the flowers.  The spritzing gives a quicker and better coverage, I think.  Try both ways and see what you like the best.

I experimented with several colors, to see how I liked them.  The flowers do look a little lighter after they dry. 

Here's the card we made, using some of our flowers.  The embossed layer is actually Primrose Petals, even though our flowers are dyed with Regal Rose reinker.  As with ribbons, you can use coordinating color tones together and it will look great.


 
 
Which color do you like the best?
In my next couple of posts I'll be sharing more about dyeing, so come back soon and check it out.  Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...