Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Fabric Flowers in a Window Box

Did you try to guess what my mystery object was in my last photo?  If you guessed that it was a part of something very old, you were on the right track.  It's actually a part of an old shutter.  I've had it for years and just love it.  Someone, a long time ago, took some pieces of old wood and attached a little window box to it.  I love when clever people make new things out of something old.  The shutter itself is old and peeling and the latch handle (the mystery object) is rusting and peeling.  I love that look!

I have hung this window box on my porch for several years and usually just stick a few sprigs of artificial flowers in it.  One year, the birds made a fine nest for their eggs and hatched some beautiful babies.  This year, after making so many fun wreaths with my fabric flowers, I had this brainstorm to fill my window box with fabric flowers!  I love, love, love how it turned out.



I cut and added blocks of styrofoam/floral foam (whatever that stuff is:) to fit the box.  Then, I layered artificial moss over it.  I actually lifted it up and added some hot glue in a couple of places.



After adding the brad through all the layers of the flower, I wrapped a floral wire (pieces cut to varying lengths) around the 'legs' of the brad and then twisted the ends together.  To be sure it stayed, I added a dollop of hot glue over the wire loop and the back of the brad.  


I then arranged the flowers in the window box and set them out on my favorite old peely bench to enjoy.  I haven't decided if I will leave them on the bench or hang them on the back wall of the wrap-around porch.

This was a super fun project.  I hope you will take some time to look around your home ... and maybe your garage or attic ... and see if you have anything that you could use for a fabric flower project.  You can go antiquing and junking with a new purpose now, too.  Please leave a comment and let me know what you think of my project.

- Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. 
- Click on the tab at the top of the page to see my class schedules and registration policies or click on the left for sneak peeks. 
- Come back soon and come back often for more creative inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...