Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Creating an Art Journal ... Getting Started

If you've been following my blog, you know that I've started in a slightly new direction.  In keeping with one of my goals for 2015, I have promised myself to spend more time in my studio just creating... for the sheer joy of creating.
I decided that, in order to do this, I should start an art journal.  If you know me at all, you know that I don't usually start small on anything.  So... I have been working on several journals.  I decided that I should have a larger journal, to explore and create larger projects and a smaller journal, to explore and create smaller projects.  I felt that I still needed a third journal, as well.  Because Mixed Media often involves experimenting with new products, I wanted to keep a journal of samples of types of products and their colors, as well as brief notes on techniques for using them. 
Here's a look at the journal I'll be using for my color samples.
This is a left-over journal from when we carried the large, blank journals.
The front cover involves a layer of gesso, paint daubers, spritzing, stenciling, and more painting and spritzing.  I may add a title later.  I'm sure I may think of more I want to do with it, but I like it for now and it was SO MUCH FUN TO CREATE!!! 
Here's a close-up of the focal pieces on the front cover.  The butterflies were cut from our Butterfly Thinlits die.  I love the dies and have used them so much since I got them that they haven't even been put away yet.
I love the little 'findings' that you can attach to it.  I tried attaching them with our Crystal Effects and let them dry overnight.  We'll see if they hold up to frequent use and handling of the journal.  It's pretty strong, so I think they'll be fine.

Here's the back of the journal.

Here's a little peek at the first inside pages.  These show a sample of 2 spritzes I used.  I've labeled them, so they make for an easy reference.  I will later add some art work.  Even though the journal is for color and technique samples, I still have plenty of room for a little art play.
I hope my art journals will inspire you to try spending some time creating... just for the joy of creating.  I actually have several journals going right now, so I'll have lots to share as I explore various creative ideas.

- Click on the tab at the top of the page to see my class schedules and registration policies or click on the left for sneak peeks. 
- Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world.
- Come back soon and come back often for more creative inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...