Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Antiquing and a Vintage Angel

Today I will share a vintage card with you and some of my latest antiquing finds.

One of the stamps that grabbed my attention when the new catalog came out was the angel in the Rejoicing with You stamp set.  I also like the beautiful font of the text stamps with it.  The set lends itself to an elegant but vintage look.  Here's my angel:


I embossed the angel and the text.  I wanted some gold edging, so I lightly brushed the VersaMark pad across the edges of the top layer of the card and embossed that too, using gold EP for all the embossing.  Notice that the angel stamp is designed to give and old, shabby chic look rather than a solid image.

To add one more touch of elegance, I tucked in a layer of scallop trim using the champagne glimmer paper.  By using crumb cake and soft suede with the elegant gold, the entire card takes on an elegant vintage look --- shabby chic.

Now, for some antiquing 'treasures.'  As you probably know by now, my husband and I love to go antiquing.  He loves to poke around in old tools and old books.  I especially like to look for unique finds that I can use in some way in my studio and/or make into something to use in my home.  Here are some of my latest finds:
All of a sudden, I seem to be drawn to old, grungy scales.  My husband bought a third one that he's keeping back for me for Christmas.  By then, I will have forgotten about it and it will be a pleasant surprise.  Aren't these scales neat?
The little shoes are not antiques, but I love them.  What is old is the ruler.  This one opens out like a fan and then the top 2 pieces flip out to make it longer.  I love it!
I hope you can see this old railroad lock.  It even came with a key, but the key doesn't work in the lock.  Oh well.  I didn't need to use the lock anyway.  It's rusty and grungy and I love it.  The old case on the bottom is one that was my father's.  I think he liked fun, grungy things, too.  He used this one to carry his music to and from his piano lessons.  Well into his seventies, he was still taking piano lessons.
This is an old red train case.  I actually use it for a good purpose.  It has needlework in it.
As you probably know, I love old spools.  I decided to use one to make a string holder and then had the idea to put three spools on it.  After staining the base, I simply glued on the spools using Crystal Effects.  It's a pretty strong adhesive.  I actually use these kinds of string and twine a lot, so it's handy and fun to have around.
This is an old box that a friend gave me for doing her a favor.  I really like it for showing off our latest buttons and goodies.
When I got these old movie reels, I didn't realize how trendy they'd become.  Back in the day, I actually used reels like these and yes, I know how to thread a movie projector.  I guess that dates me:)  The coffee grinder was a past find that I've enjoyed for a while now.  The old iron is one I got from my dad.
And lastly, here are some of my watering cans, along with an old minnow bucket.  The bucket belonged to my father-in-law and he used it a lot when he went fishing.  They're not all sitting together on the porch, but I brought them together for the photo.  They contain artificial flowers because, when I'm busy creating in my studio, I forget to water real ones:)

I hope you've enjoyed the little antique trip with me today and will try a shabby chic Christmas card.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...