Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Watercolor On Canvas Tutorial

When planning my last workshop, I decided to use a product that is not new but often gets neglected.  I paired it with a new product that has mostly been overlooked in our Spring Catalog.  What did I use?  I dusted off my Watercolor Wonder Crayons and paired them with our new canvas sheets.  I loved the results.  This project is easy and fun and makes you really feel your artistic energies coming into play.
I also decided to use a color combo that I hadn't used for a long, long time --- Wild Wasabi and Marina Mist.  I really like how it all turned out.
I cut the oval canvas before I started coloring.  You could do it after, just as well.  I colored with Marina Mist, then Baja Breeze, then Wild Wasabi Watercolor Wonder Crayons. 
Using an Aqua Painter, I added quite a bit of water onto the canvas --- just brushing it on as with any water coloring project.  This blends your colors for your background beautifully.
As you can see, the canvas will curl when it's wet.  Don't worry about it.  Set it aside to dry or, if you're in a hurry, you can heat set it.  As with all water coloring, it will dry lighter.  If it's really wet, you can blot a bit with a paper towel.  If you blot, just be aware that it will dry even lighter because you're blotting away some of the color. 

When the canvas is completely dry, stamp your image using StazOn Ink.  I think the project works best with more of an outline stamp.  You can try different images and see what you think.

Now, why haven't I used these fabulous crayons for so long?  I have no answer other than it must be because we have so many fabulous products that I forget to play with some of them.  Do you have a product that you haven't used for a while?  Get it out, dust it off, and get busy!
I have more tutorials coming up, so be sure to check back to see what else I'll have to share with you.   

- Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. 
- Click on the tab at the top of the page to see my class schedules and registration policies or click on the left for sneak peeks. 
- Come back soon and come back often for more creative inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...